I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Monday 1 December 2014

Compliments of the Season

Hello all - so glad you enjoyed my wintry birds.  We're zooming into December with our usual challenge feast, and it's suddenly got very Christmassy round here!  This is the first of two posts today kicking off Christmas themed challenges - no surprises there, I suppose.




First up, it's Country View Challenges, where the amazing Astrid is looking for projects celebrating a Nostalgic Christmas.

I went for one of the oldest traditions in the book, filling your house with greenery.  Before Christmas was even thought of, green boughs were hung on doors to ward off evil, and brought inside to freshen stale air and remind us of the promise of new growth at winter's end.

So my tag is created around that theme although, having said that...  As often seems to happen round here, I started off with one idea in mind and ended up going in a completely different direction.  This wasn't meant to be a tag at all.

The tree and big decorative vases of ivy and holly are absolutely central to my Christmas celebrations - the only bits I really couldn't manage without.




I can still remember going to choose a tree from rows of them, growing on a steep grassy hillside, and me and my brother running up and down between the rows of trees.  It was like Narnia... without the snow!  (These days it's usually the Swedish furniture store...)

I found this charming vintage image online (by Googling "nostalgic Christmas images"!), resized and printed it, and then gently tinted the sky for a bluesy look.







I still had some tea and coffee-dyed kraft tags hanging around, so I used those with my lovely new Holiday Greens Thinlits (perfect dies, thank you Tim Holtz!).

I did a bit of extra inking with Vintage Photo DI, and glammed them up a bit with some White Fire Treasure Gold.









I used the leftovers from the die-cutting as a stencil to add details around the edges of the circular background.

Ah yes, the circle...

You may be wondering what the whole thing is doing on partial circle.









Well, the original plan was to create a scene inside a circular frame (more of that another time), but somehow it wasn't working for me.

I did quite like the circle though, covered with one of the Bazzill Antique Aged Papers, so I kept that, and trimmed off one edge to make it fit onto a jumbo tag.







The tag was already under way - planned for another project (change and change about on the craft table... why not?).  I'd smeared some DecoArt crackle paste on, pretty randomly, and then painted a wash of white paint over the whole thing.













Once it's all dry, a fingertip-full of White Fire Treasure Gold highlights all the lovely texture, as well as adding a nice gleam.










I used the lovely Holly Bough Layering Stencil to apply some Chipped Sapphire and Faded Jeans inks to the painted background.














The Tim Holtz Christmas music stamp adds some extra music, stamped in Coffee Archival.











And there's a good dusting of Aged Gold Frantage around the edges, though it was a bit too golden, so that also got a smear of White Fire to lighten the colour.












The Compliments of the Season label was another fruit of the Google search ( I think this one was over at the Graphics Fairy, but I'm not sure any more), resized, printed, distressed and tinted.


And there's more White Fire on the tiny Idea-ology key.










Another little bit of White-Fired Idea-ology takes its place up at the ribbon topping...














... and all around the tag you catch the gleam of some of my favourite little wooden stars...









... twinkling from between the fir fronds.

Well, that's your lot for right now.  Of course, you can hop over to Country View Challenges to see the beautiful creations my team-mates have come up with to celebrate a Nostalgic Christmas.

Come and play with us this month, and you could win a prize voucher from our generous sponsor Country View Crafts.






And I'll be back in about an hour with not only the new Our Creative Corner challenge, but also a rather special post... and a giveaway!!  Hope to see you very soon.

Here's to holly and ivy hanging up, and something wet in every cup.
Anonymous toast

23 comments:

Helen said...

Well, it may not have started out a tag, but it ended up stunning! You captured the nostalgia element so well.

Annie said...

Absolutely gorgeous nostalgic make Alison. I could smell the gorgeous greenery as I was reading your step by step

Huge hugs Annie x

Brenda Brown said...

Beautiful imagery and colours and all those memories of Christmases past. Love this xx

chrissie said...

A very beautiful tag and I haven't seen 'Compliments of the Season' for years on anything. It always used to say that on a little card when we got a Christmas Bonus at work way back in the 1950s

Have a great day

Love Chrissie x

Astrid Maclean said...

Another lovely tag Alison, great collage work on this one, beautifully put together!

Chloe's Nan said...

Gorgeous! I don't think you can beat vintage for Christmas x

Nikki Acton said...

Another success - love the base tag - coming back to look at that one again! Nikki x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fab-u-lous!! The part circle works a treat - even though it wasn't meant to! Love the framed image! A wonderful Christmas memory! Chrisx

May said...

Gorgeous Christmas tag, Love the image & beautiful design...Hugs May x x

Redanne said...

You captured nostalgia beautifully Alison, the circle was such a clever idea! I love the wonderful colours too. Anne xx

Meggymay said...

A stunning tag, pure vintage nostalgia.
Yvonne x

massofhair said...

WOW Alison, absolutely glorious and a very nostalgic post :-) xxx

Sue said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Alison, I love the crackle and what a wonderful nostalgic Christmas feel xx

Anonymous said...

I love all the natural colours and the wooden embellishments, perfect for that adorable image you managed to source.
Adore this tag.
Wishes
Lynne

Neet said...

This reminded me of a bauble (the circle) with a picture on it as if I was peeping into the bauble. Love how you have made this and an interesting read of the journey you undertook.
Great tag!
Hugs, Net xx

Deb said...

What a gorgeous tag, thank you so much for sharing!

sam21ski said...

Fantastic tag and great colours xxx

Marci said...

I really like how you stenciled the holly in shades of blue, unexpected but pretty. A lovely tag!

Etsuko said...

Really beautiful Christmas Tag Alison! Fabulous blue and blown combo, great layers, Wow!! Just stunning. xxx

barbarayaya62 said...

Beautiful tag, I really like it all! Finally I can comment on, I had a problem with my computer that has kept me from do it for 15 days! As always, perfect details and wonderful palette!

Paper Profusion said...

Trying to catch up with all I've missed so going a quick span thru - as always Alison, you are on top creative form - these are wonderful. Nicola x

Kezzy said...

Wow such an awesome creation, you do nostalgia really well. I was GD for this and it was my 5th attempt in the end that made it. I love the half circle on the tag, it makes it look so special even if it wasn't the initial plan lol. Love the stencilling and embossing powder, stunning. Kezzy :-) xxx

Ruth said...

How beautiful, love the white fire on the idea-ology key and it's in your trademark colours again! Ruth x