I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 15 May 2014

One day I'll fly away...

Hello everyone!  I'm at a bit of a standstill crafting-wise - lots of energy going in to the dollshouses, I guess.  I seem to hit nothing but epic fails sitting at my own craft table (apart from the butterflies - don't get me wrong, I liked the butterflies, but they're the only thing I've finished to my satisfaction since arriving here in CZ), so I'm here today with another catch-up project.  

These art journalling pages were originally over at The Artistic Stamper, so if you saw them then please don't feel you have to comment again.  It was posted around or perhaps even on Valentine's Day but, as you may recall, it ain't all roses and champagne!


It's not a happy love story being told here.  If you're all loved up for Valentine's Day, you might want to skip it!  I might as well issue a long post warning too while I'm at it.  Cups of tea (or maybe shots of whisky) at the ready...





I've used stamps from the Birds of a Feather plate to express the need of this woman to break out of the relationship which is keeping her caged up.













All she wants is to be set free, to be allowed to fly high and alone.














There are little hearts all around the page...












... but if you look closely you'll see that many are actually slightly broken, cracked hearts (a touch of Crackle Paint over the texture paste).















And although the cage is a beautiful one it's still a prison...
















I started with some torn strips torn from the Tim Holtz Kraft Resist Paper Stash, stuck down with medium.









I started playing with the elements I wanted to include, the stamped and fussy cut bird and cage, and the little vintage photo (from Darkroom Door, I think).





Next I swept some paint over them, working from the spine outwards.  

I used Grunge Paste to add the tiny hearts through a stencil, and finally added some splatters of Espresso Color Wash.










But I wanted some blue to add a melancholy feel - so I dabbled and spritzed Stormy Sky Distress Stain across the pages.

I added some extra stamping - the words from Katy Fox's (now Katy Leitch) Carte Postale set and some postmarks from the same set.










And having worked out the positions with the fussy cut versions...














... I now stamped the birds direct to the page using Sepia Archival ink.













I outlined some of the hearts with a PITT pen, and later added Rock Candy Crackle Paint to those ones.














Some Vintage Photo Distress Ink swiped over the whole page warms the tone of the papers again and highlights textures, including the little hearts.












I just had to use my new Spring Greenery die to add the ivy trailing across the pages.  It's cut from Kraft Core in the 12 x 2.5 inch size - exactly right for cutting Decorative Strip Dies.












I sanded it and then inked over with Stormy Sky and Vintage Photo Distress Stains to give it the weathered look.















And I added one of the Idea-ology Compass Coins, dabbed with Stormy Sky... which way will she go once she is free?












Both she and the bird cage are layered over some torn book pages, edged with Distress Ink.















And the little bird has had a touch of penwork just to bring him into focus.














The final touch was to add a couple of woodcut meadow grasses, inked with Stormy Sky Distress Stain... no more wandering in the meadows with her lover for this woman.














These mementos will now lie, forgotten, between the pages of a book.











So there are my pages for you - a walk on the darker side of love in the run-up to Valentine's Day.














What can I say?  Not everyone enjoys the 14th February...

The only whole heart is a broken one, because it lets the light in.
David J. Wolpe

It took a while for her to figure out she could run but when she did she was long gone,
Long gone.
Keith Urban

Ingredients used:
Artistic Stamper stamps: Birds of a FeatherCarte Postale
Idea-ology Compass Coins
Idea-ology Kraft Resist Paper Stash
Core-dinations 12 x 2.5
Grunge Paste
DecoArt paint: Titanium White
Fresco paint: Stone
Distress Stains: Stormy Sky, Vintage Photo
Distress Inks: Gathered Twigs, Vintage Photo
Adirondack Color Wash Spray: Espresso
Archival Inks: Sepia, Coffee
Crackle Accents
PITT pens

Thanks so much for stopping by... I hope to have some fresher creations to share with you soon, and at the very least there are some more DT creations - all made before I left the UK - on their way to you over the next couple of weeks.  Happy Crafting all!

53 comments:

Almo said...

What a lovely post, I want to open that cage door now and let the bird fly. A great use of textures and layers. Mo x

Anonymous said...

Alison this is just beautiful! A wonderful bird cage even thought it represents being trapped. The lady in the image is just gorgeous. Love how you added crackle paint to the texture paste too. Such a lovely addition to your journal. Karen.x

froebelsternchen said...

JUST AMAZING dear Alison...--
I am in love with this romantic spread...GORGEOUS ..and thank you for sharing the progress -
xoxoxo
Susi

pearshapedcrafting said...

I remember seeing this first time round but now I see so much more of the little details (must be an age thing! lol) It is just as beautiful on the second viewing! Hope you are enjoying your (busy) time with your Mum in CZ! Hugs, Chrisx

Netty said...

Love your beautiful spread Alison, so full of fabulous elements, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

rachel said...

absolutely stunning work Alsion - gorgeous use of colour - love all the details too xx

Redanne said...

It was certainly worth seeing it again Alison, it is beautiful! Anne x

Lisa Minckler said...

I read it the first time and I loved reading it even as much this time :)
My Momma always said, "You can't keep a good woman down" so I'm sure that your personal crafting muse will help you out when the time is ready.
I look forward to your upcoming posts.
Lisa x

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Alison! Love all the inky goodness and texture!

Jules said...

wow! i'm just getting into art journalling. This piece is great :)

massofhair said...

Fantastic the first time i saw this, more amazing the second time around. Glad you posted this again :-) xxx

Sophie said...

Wunderschön!
Du bist ein Genie, Alison :-)

Liebe Grüße
Sophie xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous pages Alison , loving those browns and blues and the textural mini hearts are gorgeous as are those rusty looking leaves. Gorgeous umbelliferous flower too. Lovely. Tracy x

Rita said...

This was stunning Alison and well worth a second showing. Hope you enjoy the week-end. Hugs Rita xxx

sally said...

Still nice to see it again:-)

Sally

Jenny Marples said...

So beautiful I've had to pin it to be able to revisit the ideas and overall look on a regular basis! The Stormy Sky seems to give this a slightly verdigris feel and the kraft core looks rusted. The idea of adding crackled hearts is also so clever. Overall this is real favourite. Jenny x

sam21ski said...

Oh wow, gorgeous, and I see you're back on your fave colour combo again!!

corinna said...

wow, this is so moving, so,so sad, i want to hug this lady and let her know it it right follow her heart

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Great to see it again Alison...even a pleasure!
Hope you get some rest soon.
Kind regards, Alie :-)

Anneke said...

This is just gorgeous.Love the design and the look of it. Everything fits perfectly. And thank you very much for your explanation Anneke.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Such a fantastic spread Alison. I really love every detail.

Marci said...

I commented before, so I'll just say I hope you get to take a nice walk and relax. Looking forward to new makes when you are ready. Give yourself time.

Sue said...

I remember this from the first time around, and it's just as beautiful now. Hope you're enjoying your time with your Mum xx

Terry said...

Alison this is gorgeous with a capital "G." Sometimes we just need to take a break and step back! I am in a slump at the moment trying to balance so much, but it will happen! Enjoy and relax! Hugs!

Nan G said...

Thank you for allowing us to know that you also have 'epic fails'. I see such gorgeous makes from peeps but no one ever let's on that they've struggled or failed with something. I just threw away a batch of ATCs . I do not feel so alone now. Hugs. ( p.s. this is still gorgeous.)

chrissie said...

Love them just as much now as I did before. Best for you to concentrate on the small world at the moment as you will have lots of time to do all the other things when you return home.

Have fun

Love Chrissie x

Unknown said...

Stunning! A fabulous step x step Alison demonstrating the clever thought process that went into making this beautiful layout. A sad but beautiful story to emphasise your gorgeous artwork. C'est magnifique! Chris xxx (PS: We all have those funny times when things don't go quite as we'd like - think of the fails as the fuel of our successes! hugs xxx)

Unknown said...

Lovely page, I love how much thought you put into the story and the tiny details like the crackled hearts.

Emma x

craftytrog said...

Lovely to see this beautiful spread again Alison!
Hope all is well, have a great weekend.
Alison xxx

Julie Lee said...

I don't think I caught this the first time: I hadn't started blogging then. It's a fabulous work of art with such a poignant story to tell. So many women must have been in this position - some probably still are. I love happy stories, but there is a place for sad and wistful ones too. You have created something so lovely here. Thank you for sharing. Julie Ann xxx

Kay Wallace said...

What a wonderful process and magical outcome, Alison! Love the delicate softness of this journal spread. I "feel" the message!

Astrid Maclean said...

It was lovely then and is wonderful still!
Don't be too hard on yourself, I thought your calico make was amazing, - but maybe you did that before you left?....

Unknown said...

I missed this at Valentine's Day over at The Artistic Stamper, so I'm glad that you're sharing again today, Alison--This is just lovely! I love the earthy colors you've used and I love all of those little hearts scattered about. And I do think this is a love story of sorts--She loves herself so much, that she knows to be truly happy, she must be free! That's a Beautiful thing!
Fabulous journal pages, Alison! XOXO-Shari

Neet said...

Thanks for sharing this in such detail Alison. It is absolutely lovely and I so enjoyed the story you wove around it.
Hugs, Neet xx

Dorthe said...

What a sad story dear Alison, but so true that many lives such lives !
Your pages are again most beautiful created, the many dye cuts are beautifully added and love the Kraft Core ivy ones . A wonderful story with a happy ending :-)
Hugs ,Dorthe

Margik said...

This pages are really amazing! And great details.

toni said...

Hi Alison, not had much time for visiting recently, but as always your work is stunning! I remember these lovely pages and it's certainly a treat to see them again . Have a lovely time in CZECH . Hope we get to see some of those wonderful dolls houses again toni xx

Cestina said...

I think you may be channelling your grandmother with this one...her theme song was the 1934 Cole Porter song "Don't fence me in".....

It's very poignant - and beautiful.xx

Paper Profusion said...

As Sting said - FREE, FREE set them FREE! Brilliant piece Alison. Hope you are having a terrific time in CZ. Nicola x

Ita said...

Hi Alison I have never seen anything like this,it is stunning ,it is a story,and a book.i love what you used to get across the feeling of being trapped,but at the same time free.
I would love to try something like this on canvas.
Thank you for the inspiration .
Ita in Ireland .

Hettie said...

This is wonderful Alison. So much detail with a story behind it. Fantastic.
I hope you are having fun with your Mum.
Hugs
xx

Juliz Design Post said...

I remember this first time round but was equally enjoyable to read the story and look at your beautiful work again.
Julie x

Dianne said...

Well I for one I love a good catch up, and this was one of my favorites, with the bird theme :). thanks for sharing it again. This visit has been healing for me seeing all you outstanding creations, you always inspire me and it's one of my favorite place to come and visit, hope your having some fun in the Doll world, tell your Mom I said Cheers and hope you have a wonderful weekend, ((( BIG HUGS)))..

Anonymous said...

Great to see this project again, it is one of my favourites of all your pieces. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Etsuko said...

This is awesome pages Alison! fabulous imagination and Those images , Beautiful the Stormy Sky and Vintage Photo colours combo. Lovely textures by tiny hears xx

Thank you for answering of AO's situation, it was sounds good xx

Kate Yetter said...

These pages are stunning! I love how you have packed it full of gorgeous embellishments. Love love love it!!

barbarayaya62 said...

These pages arrived right into my heart! I really like every little detail! It's soft but intense, colors and technique as always fantastic! BArbarayaya

Cocofolies said...

Oh, looks like a really sad story hides behind these pages, very touching... Hope it's nothing personal Alison. Wonderful pages inspired by this, nevertheless, and this little bird from this AO plate is so beautiful. Fantastic work, love it!!! xxx

Kezzy said...

Wow Alison this is such a gorgeous emotional in depth journal page, yes the story maybe full of woe but the page itself is truly stunning, so much detail to tell the story with colours to match the mood :-) Kezzy xxx

Marjie Kemper said...

What a gorgeous spread, Alison. Your pages always have so many interesting details, and now this one has an intriguing story as well. I love all the layering and the cracked hearts. Hope your mojo returns ASAP!

iGirlZoe said...

Your journal page is beautiful, as is the story it tells (albeit a sad one). I think I may have commented on this, but it deserved a second. :)

Jools Robertson said...

A beautiful journal page, so much gorgeous details and the colours are lovely, love the little hearts and very pretty flowers

Jools x

Sandra's Spot said...

Absolutely gorgeous Alison I just love all those elements, colour and the story it portrays . Hugs Sandra xxx