I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 7 May 2013

In pursuit of texture




Hello and welcome everyone, with an especially big welcome to the new followers - thank you so much for jumping on board!


It's time for a new challenge over at Fun With ATCs, and I'm sure this one will get your creative juices flowing... We're looking for Texture on your ATC (2.5 x 3.5 inches and no bigger!).


And today's quotes at the end of the post are from an actor, a writer and an artist: seems we're all in pursuit of texture!


All the challenge details, as well as some fabulous inspiration from my fellow Design Teamers, can be found here.  But here's my starter for ten.









I'm back in my happy zone of the neutrals, and with some torn off cardboard box to start me off.  


It's not quite rectangular, and those jagged edges are my first element of texture, as well of course as peeling away some of the top layer to reveal the delicious corrugated texture underneath.






A sweep of gesso, roughly applied, and then a very delicate dusting of Vintage Photo Distress embossing powder, just to add some tiny rust particles to the surface.  

And the edges are inked with Vintage Photo and Gathered Twigs DIs, of course.





The words are cut from a stamp of Distressed Background Text from Magenta.  The stamp is part of the debut stamp-designing range by the very wonderful Ellie Knol of Paper-Stamps-Colour.  If you've never visited her site, I urge you to do so - she creates delicate beautiful work; and you can find her lovely new stamps and stencils here.



I selected several of the words which seemed to me to be about the texture of our lives, the things we try to build into a lifetime.  

They're stamped on handmade paper (not by me), so there's some added texture there, highlighted with some more inking around the torn edges.





The words are mounted on some rusty metal mesh, which I got from the Funkie Junkie Boutique. I twisted and frayed the edges - love it!

And I added a twist or two of burlap twine, for a different kind of textural accent.







I clipped that with a fabulous vintage rusty clip that was part of a delicious parcel of goodies I received from the amazing Kasia of Papierowywymiar (Paper Size).  

Again, I strongly urge you to go and have a look-see - her work is absolutely lovely.  (And I'm honestly not just saying that because she sent me some lovely things - I loved her work before I won her beautiful altered notebook!)



So that's me for today (unless you've time to pop over and have a look at my Artistic Outpost offering for this week - sneak peek reminder here - in case you missed the original post).

As I said, there are wonderful projects from the Fun With ATCs team to tickle your texture taste buds.  I do hope you'll feel inspired to come and play along with the Texture challenge this fortnight.




They're playing with ATCs this fortnight at Anything But A Card, so I'd like to pop this in over there.  There are still a few days to go, so you could do the double too!

Little moments can have a feeling and a texture that is very real.
Ralph Fiennes

Memory is quite central for me. Part of it is that I like the actual texture of writing through memory.
Kazuo Ishiguro

I search for the realness, the real feeling of a subject, all the texture around it... I always want to see the third dimension of something... I want to come alive with the object.
Andrew Wyeth

UPDATE
Yikes!!  I'm a Blogworthy Link!!  Over at Tim Holtz's blog... I'm bouncing off the walls!!!

48 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

A wonderfully yummy ATC in all my favourite colours! Browns and creams...well done on being a blogworthy link on Tims blog!! Hugs congrats xx hugs trace. X

froebelsternchen said...

just fantastic Alison! Fab!

Anke said...

Wonderful ATC Alison, I love the brown and dream colors.

Hugs
Anke

Brenda Brown said...

Wonderful work Alison, such fabulous texture and words, appropriate for both us today I would say.
Hugs Brenda xox

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A gorgeous textured ATC.

Chris said...

Beautiful Alison and I love the distressed look and how you added the texture. Chris x

Helen said...

What a gorgeous ATC! I don't do many, but should perhaps try some different mediums for them...!

annes paperfun said...

Gorgeous!!!
Love your work ♥
Hugs, Anne

Astrid Maclean said...

Great textures and layering and I love the neutral colouring!

Anonymous said...

Found you through Tim Holtz's blog, and indeed you make such beautifull things! The colours are so intense! I like your atc here, the Green and Serene, and ofcourse the rainbow card... haven't seen more yet but I just LOVE it allready, I've allready pinned those last two on my pinboard 'Cards" as inspiration!
If only I could make pretty things like that, it's just a joy to watch.
I'll go subscribe / add your rss feed to my reader now!
Thank you so much for making the world prettier with your creations :)

Redanne said...

Woo hoo again to the Blogworthy links Alison - so well deserved for your stunning work.

This ATC is gorgeous, love all the texture and especially the rusty wire, you have given me an idea on how to use my piece of it..... Hugs, Anne x

barbarayaya62 said...

Congrats Alison! I know how it feels: it's beautiful! Enjoy this day and this well-deserved honor! BArbarayaya

Astrid Maclean said...

Big congrats to all of you!!!

May said...

Gorgeous ATC, Alison, Love the texture & The design is Fabulous... well done on the Link at blogworthy on Tim's blog... Hugs May x x x

Sarah said...

Congrats on your "blogworthyness". How exciting for you and so well deserved.

toni said...

Brilliant to see that 'sir tim ' has recognised your fabulous talent and gorgeous blog!!!!! Its always a great pleasure to visit and see your fabulous work well deserved recognition from the master ! Oh and this is a lovely ATC love the colours and texture xx

Terry said...

Hello my blogworthy friend! Congrats and how exciting! Loving your neutrals with all the great texture! Hugs!

craftytrog said...

Fabulous art Alison...I adore your rusty clip! x

Zue said...

Hi Alison
I found you on Chris's blog....I love your te tires and your art. I will be back to browse some more.
Sue xx
Sadesigns@live.co.uk
Www.aviewoftheworldfromhere -sa.blogspot.com

Zue said...

Sorry...that should be ....I love your textures...
Xxx

Zue said...

I have got a silly name because google messed up my profile :)
Xxx

Paper Profusion said...

Another scrummily textured creation from you Alison. Interesting quote from 'the voice beautiful'. Nicola x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

A very creative atc Alison...nice!

kind regards, Alie :-)

Dorthe said...

Lovely ATC- the cardboard with the old clip and mesh-and the wonderful papers -gorgeous, Alison.
xo,Dorthe

Tracy said...

Wow this is stunning Alison..you know I could stay here forever just ooohing and ahhhing away!
Adore the wire and rust ...love it actually and the cardboard...swooon.
Wishing you a very happy week.
Hugs
Tracy
xoxox

Bonnie Irvine said...

Oh my goodness, congrats on being a Blogworthy link, Alison. How cool is that...love that make. This atc is gorgeous with the yummy texture and combination of materials. Handmade paper, corrugated cardboard, rusty metal and mesh....sigh. I love the uneven edge, too. Very unexpected and fun.

sara j said...

You ARE defintely BLOGWORTHY. Excited to see your there!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful textures - such a lovely tag set off by that lovely clip. Well done for your Blogworthy appearance on TH, not surprised at all!!! Chrisx

Tincan Crafter said...

so simple, so beautiful! Reminds me of the Japanese concept of aesthetics!

Nan G said...

Amazing texture, butterfly!

Sandy said...

You have the most wonderful ideas Alison. I appreciate you sending me to some new places too. I think I had better start putting my card board boxes to some good use!!! You are a wonderful teacher!!!!
Sandy

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Super super super CONGRATS to you my friend!!! So deserving are you!!! And were else but in our world can a piece of scrap be turned into a gorgeous piece of Art! Love this piece!

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...this is a little beauty Alison, I do so love all shades of brown, the textures on your ATC are super and I adore that rusty clip!...Melxx :)
Fabulous to be mentioned on Tims blogworthy and very much deserved, I'm surprised you've not been whipped off to Ranger Uni...X

Jenny Marples said...

Well done on the blogworthy link and be prepared to be inundated with comments!!! Love this little treasure with all the metal elements. Hugs, Jenny x

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous Honey and well done! You are ALWAYS blogworthy to me!
Hugs
xx

House of Bears said...

We seem to have a backlog of projects to do, all inspired by your work, your jars, your atcs, corrugated card projects. All too lovely to resist, now, if you could just send us some extra time to complete them all....

Marjie Kemper said...

Scrumptious... so many yummy textures!

Lisa Minckler said...

Just beautiful and congratulations on your TH page too!!!! That's freaking COOL!

Unknown said...

I love all of the texture Alison, it's a fab ATC! Congrats on getting the attention of Tim, it's an honor you truly deserve. :) Hugs

Dianne said...

Alison you had me all over the web looking at all those wonderful blog and the artwork is fabulous.So you should be blog worthy, your work is outstanding..
Now this lovely small piece of art,from a torn piece of cardboard amazing, amazing,love the soft colors, the distress, the wire mesh brilliant, and that rusty clip, shesh you have me all a twitter again, I get so excited when I see your post in my mail. I know you will take me on a fabulous journey. Thanks for sharing all of this creativity. hope your having a wonderful day. Off to visit the doll houses...

Sue said...

Wonderful Alison, all that lovely texture, and I love what you did to your flowers on your AO piece xx

Unknown said...

A fabulous ATC and a great demonstration of thinking outside of the box. Love your creativity. Chris xxx

mark gould said...

congrats again on the blog worthy link. xx love the atc. so much texture crammed into such a small space x

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

I'm late visiting Alison and it has all been said. So to the chorus I will simply add - Love it Totally.
Thank you for joining us at Anything But A Card this time and a big shout out to you re Tim Holtz!

Kezzy said...

Gorgeous I never thought you could fit so much onto an ATC, amazing, I really love the natural look as well and the texture, I think I shall start calling you the Queen of Texture as you do it so beautifully in all your work. Happy Crafting :-) Hugs Kezzy xxx

Julia S-W said...

Still catching up but at least I've offered my congratulations for the Blogworthy link - somewhere!
Great little ATC full of texture and wonderful words. I just LOVE that rusty clip. . . . .
Hugs Juliaxxx
And: Thanks so much for joining us at Anything But A Card this time.
Juliax

Marita said...

Wonderful piece of artwork!

Ellie Knol said...

LOVE it!